This message is from: Steve McIlree <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

It's been awhile since I've written to the list about the state of the
list, so I will do so now. Last month saw a new high in message
traffic with 818 total messages. The previous high was January '99
with 617 total messages. We're keeping pace this month with 468
messages logged at the half-way point. I don't know if the higher
volume in the summer is because of the high temperatures keeping folks
indoors, or just because we have more subscribers than last summer.

We now have over 300 regular subscribers. They come from fourteen
countries as far as I can determine from addresses. Currently the most
subscribers are from the U.S. and Canada, but we also have folks from
Belgium, the Netherlands, France, Germany, Switzerland, Denmark,
Sweden, Norway, Finland, the U.K., Australia, and Japan. If I've left
anyone's country off this role I wish you would e-mail me so I would
be aware in the future. We are starting to get quite a few people
subscribing for only a couple of days. That's probably because the
List Web site has risen in profile on many of the search engines, and
people who have no real interest in Fjord horses are subscribing on a
whim.

People have been having trouble with the commands to unsubscribe from
the list and to set the list to digest. Also the nomail and mail
options are forgotten. Below is the Welcome message again. All of the
important commands are there. Please save a copy of this letter. It's
especially problematic when people ask me to turn off their
subscription for vacation. I'm not always around on the day your
vacation starts, and I sometimes forget when you're returning home.
Please review the nomail and mail set commands and take care of
vacations yourselves. If you're trying to send a command and receiving
a message that you are not a subscriber, it's probably because you are
sending the command to the wrong list. If you receive the digest, you
should send commands to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]",
otherwise commands should go to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]".

send the following command in email to
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> or
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

    unsubscribe

Or you can send mail to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> with the following

    unsubscribe fjordhorse  or
    unsubscribe fjordhorse-digest

or from another address, besides [EMAIL PROTECTED]:

    unsubscribe fjordhorse [EMAIL PROTECTED]  or
    unsubscribe fjordhorse-digest [EMAIL PROTECTED]

list itself) send email to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> .
to contact a human.

An easy way to subscribe to or unsubscribe from the list can be
found at:
   http://www.netspace.org/cgi-bin/lwgate/fjordhorse/
Simply filling in the forms there will allow one to be added to or
deleted from the "FjordHorse" mailing list. Please note that these
forms do not work for the digest.

You may choose to receive "FjordHorse" in either digest format or as
individual messages. If you are currently receiving individual
messages and would prefer to receive a daily digest, send the
following command in the body of an e-mail to:
 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

   set digest

If on the other hand, you are currently receiving the digest format
and would prefer to receive individual messages, send the following
command in the body of an e-mail to:
 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

   set nodigest

If you are going to be gone from your computer for more than two or
three days and do not wish to have your mailbox get filled with unread
fjordhorse messages you may wish to put the list "on hold". To do this
send the following command in the body of an e-mail to either:
  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> or
  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

   set nomail

When you return and wish to "restart" the list send the following
command in the body of an e-mail to either:
 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> or
 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

   set mail

To send a message to the list address it to:
 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Be sure to use this address even if you are subscribed to the digest.
Messages which are sent to the digest are seen only by those who have
a digest subscription. And then it is seen as an individual message.
If I resend the message so it is seen by those who get the regular
version of the list it will appear twice in the digest the next day.

Please be sure that your mail program is set to send plain ASCII text.
If you send an HTML formatted message, I will return it to you and ask
you to resend it as plain text. The mail programs which are the worst
offenders in this regard a Microsoft Outlook Express and Netscape
Mailer. Please check your setup options to be sure you send
unformatted ASCII text.

If you are replying to a message that has been previously posted just
hit the reply button on your mail program. I would remind you that if
you reply to a message, you can make others on the list happy by
making liberal use of your mail program's block and delete
capabilities. The rest of us received the same message and probably
need to see only a sentence or two to establish the context to which
you are replying. I can't emphasize the importance of this enough.
Please reread this paragraph until it sticks in your memory.

"FjordHorse" is an open forum dedicated to the discussion of all
subjects relating to the Norwegian Fjord horse. The primary subject of
the list is the Fjord horse, but the list is open to the discussion of
any related equine issue.

Typical subjects may include selection, breeding, care, training, and
use of Fjord horses. Personal experiences, discussions of training
techniques, good advice and pleasant conversation are always welcome
here. View the list as an opportunity to sit around the kitchen table
with friends and discuss Fjord horses over a pot of good coffee.

Postings of competitions and clinics, and "for sale" ads relating to
horses and equipment are welcome. Non-related commercial ads, chain
letters and flaming will not be tolerated.

Advertising of items for sale on the list will be limited to brief
sales lists to be repeated no more than once a month. For example, if
one has five horses for sale, they may post a list of all five horses,
containing their name, breeding, sex, size, age, price and a *brief*
description of training or suitability. If a prospective buyer wants
more detail about a specific horse they may contact the seller by
private e-mail. The same policy will hold for the advertising of
harness, tack, vehicles, feeds, books or any other goods appropriate
for sale on the list.

Remember that people do take comments personally--that's what makes it
fun to be with them. Before posting an angry response, sleep on it. Go
ahead and write it up before you forget what you want to say, but
don't hit the send button until the next day. Then reread what you
have written as if it were directed toward you. If you wouldn't be
hurt go ahead and send it. Otherwise you might want to reword your
message. Discussion and disagreement are accepted on this list,
derision is not.

Even if you intend to mostly lurk on this list, please introduce
yourself when you first subscribe. It's fun for everyone to know
everyone else on the list. Tell the rest of us about yourself and your
horses. Where do you live? How many horses do you have? What
activities do you enjoy with your horse? And whatever else you think
the folks sitting around the virtual kitchen table would like to know.

Saskia Schoofs from Belgium has a Web site up and running to compile a
"who is who" from these introductions.  You can view it at:
  http://fjord.hypermart.net/mail/index.htm

Please don't send pictures directly to the list. Many people have mail
programs that are mot capable of viewing them and they come through
like a mass of garbage characters. Also they are very *BIG* and the
mailing list program will bounce any message larger than 40K. Send
pictures to me at: [EMAIL PROTECTED] . I will put them
on the List Web site. You can view it at:
  http://members.home.net/smcilree