This message is from: "Karen McCarthy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"...We should be concerned with breeding horses with correct, balanced proportions, and pleasing temperaments and not worry about size and color."
Margaret Strachan
Village Farm
Nuevo, CA

Way to go Margaret!
I can't tell you how turned-off I am when someone tells me, or I overhear comments about how "neat" it is that such a fjord, or so and so's fjord is 15hh+, or they are only interested in "tall" fjords... So? IMO they become too spindley legged, and too "horsey" looking. (The draftier ones at least look like inflated fjords w/ usually correct proportions, but I am at a loss for wanting to actually ride and USE one - yes, I have ridden them as I train for other people who own this type, but I can't wait to hitch them). When the native - sorry y'all, I AM gonnna say it - PONY qualities get lost in the attempt at color, refinement and height,or sheer draftiness for draftiness' sake, herein lies the rub for me.

I have had the real honor of riding two of the greatest horses of my life: both of them fjords, one a stallion who literally could and would do it all - just ask! and the other a mare, still quite young, who's ready to take on anything as well, in any discipline. ( No names here, as I don't need the self promotional fingers wagging at me in cyberspace!) One I own, the other unfortunatley is not mine, but my point here is that they range in size from just barely 14hh to almost 14.2. Perfection for me - and too in the eyes of judges at Open and fjord shows and Evaluations,on the line and in performance classes.

Thanks again Margaret for putting a little "balanced perspective"
here on the list.

Karen