This message is from: John Bolinski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Marsha and list,

    RE: sheath cleaning.  When I first got Kilar, his sheath was the
nastiest, greasiest I have ever seen.  I had to clean him continuously.  He
never objects, but...  At any rate, this summer I noticed that he does not
require any more frequent cleaning than my other geldings and is much easier
(not so gunky) to clean.  I wonder what the difference could be?   I just
wish I could get him to drop for regular cleaning like my QH and Arab.
Whenever he sees me prepare the sponges and cleaner he gets bashful.  The
other horses all have the slightly waxy or dry type of mess.  By the way, I
have never had a gelding who objected to cleaning.  Past messages about
having the vet clean and needing to tranq' came as a suprise.
    I also use the doggy brush on Kilar and Wee Willy.  They get such long
coats in winter that it is practically the only thing to touch the tangles.
You just need to watch the horse to be sure you are not scratching too
hard.  I do Kilar's tail with it year-round because it seems to pull out the
tangles better than the rubber brush or the steel mane/tail combs and
doesn't break the hair as badly as the steel comb.  To 'slick' the tail
hairs and make them easier to brush, I spray on Flysect, the one with the
citronella.  It has oils in it and seems to act as a detangler.

Martie