This message is from: Marsha Jo Hannah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Alex Wind <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> what are the parameters for male sheath goo? My Fjord gelding has
> the consistency of used engine grease on his sheath. It is so copious
> that it even gets on his inner thighs. The other geldings (POA, Appy,
> and Welsh cross) all have dry, waxy, flaky stuff which peals or
> brushes off fairly easily, especially aided by a little Vaseline, or
> bag balm. Gillyn, the Fjord, is a one-horse grease pit. I feel that
> baby wipes would come in handy with him. By the way, the suggestion of
> alcohol was good, [...] That works on his inner legs,

Our two Fjord geldings are very different.  Sleepy is a "grease
pit"---lots of black goo, and he "wipes it off" on his inner thighs;
he usually gets big "beans" at the tip, too.  Rom never gets a bean,
and mostly has very dry, greyish "crusts" build up between cleanings
(by the vet, with tranqs and hobbles---he's very "precious" about it).

> Thanks for the tip about WD-40 for de-tangling. [...]  two Fjords
> [...] have such thick tails and they tend to cord up and get stained
> red, by the red mud around here.

When the subject of WD-40 came up on another list, someone advised
against it, based on the OSHA cautions for the product.  Seems the
stuff really isn't good to get on skin (like the dock of the tail),
and the vapor is nasty enough that you should wear a mask when using
it!  (Don't remember the details, just that I decided never to try
that.)

My favorite grooming tool is a dog brush, called a wire slicker.  I
find that it does a great job on getting mud out of winter-hairy
Fjords, and I use it on their manes and tails, too.  It seems to work
the cords and "rats nests" out better than a comb, and with less loss
of hair.  (Some loss of hair is unavoidable, and even desirable in my
book---keeps Sleepy's very thick tail down to a managable size!)
However, sometimes the mud balls in tails (and fetlock feathers)
require "cracking" with a pair of pliers, before brushing.

Marsha Jo Hannah                Murphy must have been a horseman--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               anything that can go wrong, will!
30 mi SSE of San Francisco, Calif.
-------