This message is from: Steve McIlree <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Feeding can be such an individual thing depending on the horse.  In our
situation with a 25 year old mare - she needs grain (lots of it - 10-12
pounds of senior feed daily), 1 cup of oil and all the good quality
grass hay she can eat along with unlimited opportunity to graze.
Keeping weight on her is our main mission at this point in her life.

On the other hand, we have a yearling and he gets a little grain and
good hay morning and night.  When the vet gelded him a couple of months
ago, she mentioned he was just a little plump!  After cutting back on
his grain, his ribs started showing.  So,  increased the grain again.
He's growing and he needs good, solid nutrition, but not too much
protein - don't want him to grow too fast or get fat.

In the winter I will feed a Timothy Grass/Alfalfa mix and possibly
increase the horse's daily ration of grain if it's really cold.  Mainly
watching each horse for weight loss or gain.  It's a good idea to use a
weight tape occasionally and check for changes also.

I do know people who only hay their Fjords, some of them have "fluffy"
Fjords, especially if they have good pasture for them.  And most Fjords
owners seem to need to limit at least part of the herd's pasture access,
because some Fjords just get so huge on grass.

But at some point,  grain usually enters the picture - either as a treat
or as a way to give supplements it seems.

I personally "like" to give some grain.  They don't need much, but they
need good quality grain and always good quality hay.

It would be best to discuss your horse's needs with your Vet the next
time they are out your way and come up with a feeding plan together.
And watch your horse's condition and vary the feed with the condition of
the horse and the season and the amount of work the horse is doing.
Feeding requirements can change and the circumstances change.

Mostly,  Fjords LOVE THEIR FOOD!!!  It's a big part of their day!!!

Sarah Nagel in warm Idaho with June and Sonny