This message is from: Jean Ernest <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Candace,

If you've got good hay or pasture and your fjord is doing just pleasure
riding and is at a good weight, there is no real reason you need to give
him grain.  I do give my Fjords here in Alaska a small amount of grain
(oats preferably) with their vitamins and daily wormer.  The hay was so bad
last year that I added a supplement or alfalfa cubes, or a little alfalfa
hay to provide adequate nutrition.

I think I give them grain as a treat (to make myself happy) as they enjoy
it so much...It seems to be a special part of their day..when they get that
little handful of grain.  But if they were on a mixed grass/alfalfa hay of
good quality, then no..they would not need grain.  Or if they were on good
pasture alone they would not need grain...and waould probably be too fat
with unlimited pasture. It depends on how much work they're doing!

Jean in Fairbanks, Alaska, another sunny beautiful day,  80 degrees

 At 07:32 PM 7/9/99 EDT, you wrote:
>This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>Hi!
>Does everyone feed their Fjords grain? There is a Fjord at a stable near me
>and all they feed him is hay. I asked why and they said because he is a pony
>and doesn't need the extra energy. Is this true? Should I or should I not
>feed my Fjord grain?
>
>Candace

Jean Ernest
Fairbanks, Alaska