This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (James Rollins)

     I have been reading with interest the information on boarding.  I
grew up in New Hampshire and I always boarded my horses there and have
experienced different types of boarding facilities.  The one thing I
remeber in particular is that boarders should have their own tack and
equipment area.  I have seen where some boarders took advantage of the
owner's supplies and tack.  This is discouraging for all at the stable.
As a boarder it is also dissapointing to arrive ready for a good workout
and find that the owner is riding and driving and using all the areas
for these activities.  A tentative schedule of use of these areas is
very helpful.  I agree with the full board policy as it insures that all
hores will have clean stalls, and hopfully coordinated vet and farrier
schedule which saves everyone time and money.  By no means should anyone
other than the owner be allowed to ride a boarded animal without written
permission from the owner in advance.  The most gorgeous barn I boarded
at was a morgan farm where I was the only boarder.  It had all the bells
and whistles but it also had an owner who disliked my morgan show
gelding and much too late I found out my gelding was being abused. The
owner was walking into the stall with a whip and bucket of water and
throwing the bucket  at my horse and whipping him.  Luckily I was a
wittness to this upon approaching the barn one day.  Naturally we left
that barn.  I think these instances are very rare in boarding and I was
happy at other facilities but i think  people really need to check
things out.  I was a young girl when this happened and I might have
handled it differently had I been older.  Well, I went on longer than I
expected...  A good boarding facility, run well, with rules well known
to all is  valuable to an area in need of horse care.  I agree with the
folks who say to have all contracts in order.  Kathy Rollins