This message is from: Jean Ernest <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi Carolyln, welcome to the list!

I do mostly trail riding and having four fjords for the one of me, am
afraid that I don't ride my two oldsters much (22 and 24)  But they are
perfectly happy to lounge about, eat and socialize with the others.

I would say Fjords are happiest when they are EATING!  but of course we
can't let them do that as much as they would like..They are happy just to
schmooze with you, get petted and groomed.  I would say your pleasure
riding activiities would suit them just fine.

I think the one thing Fjords dislike most is ARENA work, boring, repetitive
going around in circles.  Get them out on the trail, do intersting things
with them like cavaletti if you have to do much arena riding, etc.  Amuse
them with Clicker training, retrieving things (see Steve Mcilree's page on
the Fjord Mailing List Web page:
http://members.home.net/smcilree/Steve.htm

While you may be only touching the "tip ot the iceberg" with the trail
riding (as I am sure I'm doing..not developing the full potential of my
fjords, etc.) I wouldn't feel too guilty If that's all you do with your
Fjord.  Enjoy them, that's the main thing.

Just my $.02 worth

Jean in HOT Fairbanks, Alaska, upper 80's today, but They're delivering hay
today!

 I do strictly pleasure riding and camping with horses and
>friends from the barn where I board my 12 year old Palomino, Daisy (my
>best friend and love of my life!)  From the information I have gathered,
>the Fjord is "happiest when working" and if pleasure riding is the only
>interest, you are only touching the "tip of the iceberg".
Jean Ernest
Fairbanks, Alaska
[EMAIL PROTECTED]