This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi, list.
        I've got a question about feeding fjords, particularly pregnant
mares.  I've been feeding other boodmares for years, but not these fuzzy
little marshmallows - they gain weight on a bucket of water!
        All of my fjords have access to full-time pasture, and that seems to
keep everyone more than well-fed.  I do like to grain the youngsters and the
lactating and pregnant mares, as they need more protein for their various
jobs.  BUT - a little grain goes a long way with these guys!  In fact, four
oats and a corn kernel seem to be overload!
        I know the youngsters and mares have increased protein needs to lay
down good bone, or to grow a healthy baby - but how do you feed them without
turning them into the Goodyear Blimp?
        I've tried restricting grass by keeping them in during the day; this
makes 'em mad.  I'm considering getting a grazing muzzle so that they can
still be out with their buddies.  Has anyone used these?  What do you think?
        Any suggestions about adding Protein to their diet without adding
pounds will be greatly appreciated.
                                Thanks,
                                                        Jan