This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Steve:
When I click on the link I get a blank screen, is the link complete?

                    Steve McIlree

                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:     Fjord Horse List

<fjordhorse@angus.mystery.com>
                    Sent by:                        cc:

                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]        Subject:     Not A Hoax

                    ystery.com

                    04/30/2001 11:39 PM

                    Please respond to

                    fjordhorse

This message is from: Steve McIlree <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

 I now have seen in several forums the thought that the warning on the
 denial of health insurance benefits to horsepersons was probably an
 Internet hoax. Unfortunately, it is not. I spent the past couple
 hours digging through the Federal Register and I can verify that the
 danger is real. I am no lawyer, but it certainly appears to me that
 the relevant portions of this interim regulation cited below state
 that you may not be denied insurance coverage because of your horse
 related activities, but the carrier may deny payment of benefits if
 your injury was sustained in a horse related activity. I would
 suggest that everyone stop wishing this thing was a hoax and start
 writing letters to the agencies involved, and to your representatives
 in the House and Senate. Send a letter, preferably handwritten, don't
 email. And pass this on to other horse people, motorcycle riders,
 snowmobilers, skiers, etc.

 From Federal Register; January 8, 2001 (Volume 66, Number 5); Rules and
Regulations; Page 1377-1420

http://frwebgate5.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/waisgate.cgi?WAISdocID=9700028916+0+0+0&WAISaction=retrieve

 On page 1379 under "Health Factors"

     Evidence of insurability. Several commenters urged that the
 health factor "evidence of insurability" be interpreted to prohibit
 plans and issuers from denying coverage to individuals who engage in
 certain types of activities. Commenters cited language in the
 conference report that states, "The inclusion of evidence of
 insurability in the definition of health status is intended to
 ensure, among other things, that individuals are not excluded from
 health care coverage due to their participation in activities such as
 motorcycling, snowmobiling, all-terrain vehicle riding, horseback
 riding, skiing and other similar activities." H.R. Conf. Rep. No.
 736, 104th Cong., 2d Sess. 186 (1996). The interim regulations
 clarify that evidence of insurability includes participation in
 activities listed in the conference report. In addition, the interim
 regulations incorporate the statutory clarification that evidence of
 insurability includes conditions arising out of acts of domestic
 violence. See also the discussion below concerning source-of-injury
 restrictions under the heading "Application to Benefits."

 On page 1381 under "Application of Benefits"

     Source-of-injury restrictions. While a person cannot be excluded
 from a plan for engaging in certain recreational activities (see
 previous discussion on evidence of insurability under the heading
 "Health Factors"), benefits for a particular injury can, in some
 cases, be excluded based on the source of an injury. These plan
 restrictions are known as source-of-injury restrictions.\6\ Under
 these interim regulations, if a plan or group health insurance
 coverage generally provides benefits for a type of injury, the plan
 or issuer may not use a source-of-injury restriction to deny benefits
 otherwise provided for treatment of the injury if it results from an
 act of domestic violence or a medical condition (including both
 physical and mental health conditions). An example in the interim
 regulations clarifies that benefits for injuries generally covered
 under the plan cannot be excluded merely because they were
 self-inflicted or were sustained in connection with a suicide or
 attempted suicide if the injuries resulted from a medical condition
 such as depression. Another example illustrates that a plan can
 nonetheless exclude benefits for injuries because they were sustained
 in connection with various recreational activities if the accident
 did not result from any medical condition (or from domestic
 violence).

 --
Steve McIlree -- Pferd & Skipper -- Omaha, Nebraska, USA
  Don't blame me. I voted for Brown.