This message is from: "M.Bijster" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Mary wrote: .  Lack of
exercise on good ol' natural ground can lead to a
myriad of hoof problems, not the least of which are
slow hoof growth and decreased wall thickness.  "If
you don't use it, you lose it" maybe?

That is very well said, Mary
Because Fjords are so easy to keep, many  are not well looked after and get
too little exercise and develop therefore hoof problems
My farrier told me that only now Hansje had grown good strong hoofs, after a
year.
It takes a hoof a year to renew completely
She had indeed decreased wall thickness, a bit loose even due to bad
maintenance and no exercise
People forget easily that they require good care, just as other horses do.

By the way, the hoof and mouth disease is a real disaster here in Holland.
5 Farms are infected now and because the country is so crowded and the
animals have been transported throughout the whole country (and Europe)
there is much fear that it will spread.
In England more than 600 farms are infected now
The didease has reached Ireland and France as well.

We are not allowed to go trailraiding, nor to transport our horses
We may visit the barn and ride in the arena
Some friends  of me have their horses stabled at a farm with cows or sheep
and they are not allowed to enter the farm. So the farmer looks after the
horses and they have to wait untill the danger is over.
greetings, Marion