This message is from: Jean Ernest <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

At 12:03 AM 3/24/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>This message is from: "Sue Harrison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>Hi everyone...I was to a meeting with some horse people tonight discussing
>an up and coming 100 mile trail ride.  One of the men there breeds "Welsh
>Cobs"  He had a filly colic this winter.  They did a stool sample and found
>it full of worms.  He had wormed a month or so before that with Ivermectin.
>We had also wormed Storm before he coliced in November.  He too had worms in
>a stool sample.  What is going on here?

I just read this on the Vita Royal website, article about worming:

****
"Worm eggs that are ingested from pastures hatch quickly and perforate the
intestinal lining. They then begin a long-term migration through body
tissues and organs, where they do their greatest damage. This migration can
take 10 to 12 months as they grow and develop. They can migrate anywhere,
even through the brain, heart, lungs, etc. Close to maturity, these worms
migrate toward the intestine again, with many reentering through the
mesenteric artery, which feeds the intestine. This perforation can cause
clots and blood flow blockage, resulting in colic and gastrointestinal
distress.

Larvae then finish their maturation in the intestine for another 18 to 30
days, and begin laying eggs on their own, thus perpetuating the cycle.
Worms are generally only susceptible to worming agents when they are in the
intestine, only after doing their damage during migration. They continually
enter the intestine from body tissues, so worming for one day is only
effective that day. By the next day, another batch will have entered, after
the worming drug has passed through the gut and been eliminated.

Wormers are "pass through" kill. Fortunately, the larvae maturation
period serves as a treatment window, since they will not be ready to
lay eggs for another several weeks to a month. This is why we can
come back in a month with another dose of wormer."
***************

Hopefully, Dr. Steve will elaborate on this, but as I understand it, a
horse may have a lot of larval worms in their body which aren't killed by
the wormers, which kill the worms in the intestins.  Ivermctin also kills
larvae in the tissues, as I understand, but NOT the encysted larve.  So
when the worms in the intestine are eliminated, encysted larvae are
released and migrate to the intestine, doing their damage on the way, then
grow to maturity in 18 to 30 days when they start laying eggs, so if you
did a stool sample 30 days after the last worming you would likely find
worm eggs.

It is my understanding also that when the worms are eliminated from the
intestine, somehow this may stimulate the release of encysted larvae to
take their place..and the migration of these larvae, especially if in large
numbers, may cause colic because of the damage they do. Thus colic after
worming?

OK Dr. Steve, does this sound reasonable?

Jean in Fairbanks, Alaska, cold and clear with brilliant auroras
tonight (Northern Lights) but spring is coming!

Jean Ernest
Fairbanks, Alaska
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]