This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hello List, Amy,

I talked with Brian Jacobsen about BNF Jera yesterday evening, just have not
had a chance to share what he told me!  Things are getting hectic around here!

Brian says that in his opinion, BNF Jera is 99.9% chance a red dun.  He says
she has some signs in her coloring that lead him to that conclusion.  The
first being no black in her mane, tail, or dorsal stripe.  This in and of
itself is not so very unusual, unless coupled with other coloring oddities,
such as hooves.  All four hooves are uniformly a creamy yellowish color.  On
top of that, she is so very pale.  Brian says the only Fjords which are born
with 4 light colored hooves and no black are either red or yellow duns.
Apparently the hoof color is the main indicator.  Yellow duns are not able to
be derived from the breeding of two brown duns, hence she is a red dun!
(Boy, I hope I am getting this out all right!)

Brian also said that both brown duns, sire and dam, must have this red dun
recessive gene in their pedigree.  BNF Jera's sire, Engar, was sired by
Gjestarson 102-A, who sired at least two red dun fillies.  Unfortunately,
with Engar's lineage, the majority were not registered with the NFHR, so that
is about as far as I was able to persue.  Renate, the dam of BNF Jera, also
is very hard to research, as many in her line show a bunch of "unknowns" in
the progeny files.  However, Grabb is her great grandsire, and he had sired
at least one red dun.  Hence, both sire and dam carry the red dun recessive
gene.

I hope this is fairly clear, and of help to someone down the line.  I also
hope I accurately stated what Brian Jacobsen told me.  He has a wealth of
information regarding Fjord colors and he is exceedingly patient in teaching
and sharing what he knows.

Take care!

Lynda

Lynda and Daniel