This message is from: "Mike May, Registrar NFHR" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

At 07:59 PM 2/25/01 -0800, you wrote:

That is a method that I have heard about for years , but does not take
into account the bone structure of the horse.....say for instance....a
horse who weighs 1000 lbs with this method could carry 200-250 lbs,
rider and tack combined.  However if you take in account their bone
structure you might be putting too much weight on the horse.

The other problem with this method is that if that 1000 pound horse gets a little on the fat side & gains another 100 or so pounds the formula now says that it can carry an additional 25 pounds too! Somehow that doesn't make sense. I don't think the extra weigh on the horse would make the legs or any other part of its body any stronger.

Norwegian Fjord Horse Registry
Mike May, Registrar
Voice 716-872-4114
FAX 716-787-0497