This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Jennifer and/or Michael

The good thing about round bales is that they unroll like a roll of
toilet paper.  So you don't have to set the whole thing in the pen with
them.  Just pull some of it off and feed it like you would a square bale.

In the past I would recommend feeding round bales because then the horse
could nibble all day long (normal horses, not fjords).  This was good I
thought because it more simulated grazing rather than feeding in meals.

I no longer recommend feeding whole round bales though.  That is because
of the respiratory problems I have seen them cause.  If you have ever
seen a horse eat a round bale, you know that they don't neatly nibble
around the edges working their way to the center.  Instead, they burrow
straight to the middle and then sit there all day long with their head
buried in it breathing in all that mold and pollen spores.  Round bales
typically carry more mold than square bales.  Even if you can't see it,
it's there.  Breathing in this bad air can cause asthma and emphysema
(COPD/Heaves).

So if a client must feed round bales, I tell them to peel some off and
feed a little at a time, rather than setting the whole bale out at once.
This will help control their weight as well as saving their respiratory
health.

Steve

PS - someone even makes a round bale carrier that holds the bale in a way
that lets you unroll it just like a paper towel holder

Steve and Amy White
Prairieholm Farm
Waterloo, Nebraska