This message is from: "truman matz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Martie writes,
>    Depends on what  lesson the farrier teaches.  We had many good farriers
>here who would 'teach' a horse to mind and have his feet worked.
>    So if you really trust your farrier/vet to teach the horse, fine, but
>with someone new - don't take chances. It is harder to fix this kind of
>problem than prevent it.
*********

We've had a few great farriers over the years, some mediocre, and some that
shouldn't ever touch a horse.  I already mentioned about the one who tore up
my friends yearling with a chain.  We never used him, thank God.  But we did
have one that we used two or three times.  We never saw him do a thing wrong
with the horses, even though we were both right there to assist him.  But
after the third time he came to our farm, we noticed that even the horses
that were NEVER a problem with a farrier, now wouldn't stand or co-operate
for the farrier.  I have no idea what this guy did.  It was VERY covert,...
but the horses ALL knew.  So he became history.  We always let a new farrier
know ahead of time that we would not tolerate abuse of our horses, so except
for that one where we couldn't SEE the abuse, we never had a problem.
Bottom line,... unless you're got a tried and true farrier, don't let him
out of your sight for a second when he's with your horses.  And "listen" to
what your horses are telling you.  Especially when they're ALL "telling" you
the same thing.  Judy