This message is from: John and Martie Bolinski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Joel,
    Depends on what  lesson the farrier teaches.  We had many good farriers
here who would 'teach' a horse to mind and have his feet worked.  Seems like
even if they are good for the owners they will sometimes try new people or
people they only see once in a while.  BUT - we had one farrier here (subbing
for a regular) who beat one of my horses with a rasp in the belly.  Several
times.  She was always a little hard to do but our regular farrier just used
patience and voice to work with her and alway got the job done safely.  After
that one bozo the horse would not stand for ANY farrier.  She was good about
her feet with me, with John and with the kids who rode her.  But she would
NOT stand for the farrier.  The last farrier we had said 'I wouldn't own a
horse that evil' but the problem was only with farriers.  not with the vet -
not with us.  We do our own farrier work now for routine stuff like trimming
and basic shoeing.  And I no longer trust a farrier to 'lesson' my horse.  If
it misbehaves, I take it asside and work it myself while the farrier works on
another.  And one lesson I learned is if NONE of your horses like the farrier
there is probably a problem.
    So if you really trust your farrier/vet to teach the horse, fine, but
with someone new - don't take chances. It is harder to fix this kind of
problem than prevent it.
sorry to be so longwinded, but this pushed one of my hot buttons.

Martie in MD