[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<<
 I never really understood this arrangement.  Why is it the stallions
 responsibility to guarantee a live foal, especially up to 24hrs. post
 foaling?  Once the mare conceives the stallion should be off the hook.
 If the mare loses the pregnancy it is most likely a problem with her.
 Why should the stallion owner be burdened with the time and expense of
 another breeding?  Once the mare is checked in foal with ultrasound by a
 veterinarian the breeding guarantee should end there.

 I think the live foal guarantee is just a tradition that dates back
 before the days of modern reproductive science.  A live foal then assured
 the stallion had done his job (especially in the days when breeding was
 all live cover).  Now that we have techniques to evaluate semen and
 ultrasound to ensure a good pregnancy, I feel the live foal guarantee is
 obsolete.  Instead we should have a conception guarantee.

 IMHO

 Steve

Steve,

I couldn't agree with you more!!  That has been my policy for a number of
years.  IMHO once I get a mare in foal, I and my stallions have accomplished
our mission.  Some owners do not properly care for their mares, don't give
Pneumabort - K, etc.  Why then should the burden be that of the stallion
owner?

My breeding contract says that the mare must be given Pneumabort - K at the
proper intervals.  I ultrasound at 15 days and recommend that she be
rechecked at 45 days.  However, I cannot police owners to make sure that they
uphold their end of the agreement?!

I have been a breeder and stallion owner for a number of years with Fjords as
well as other breeds.  My stallions have all had good quality semen.
Whenever I've had trouble, 100% of the time it has been due to problems with
the mare - uterine infection, urine pooling, hormone imbalances, mare not
cycling correctly, cystic ovaries - the list goes on.  I've spent up to 4
years trying to get some mares in foal.  GRRR!

I must say, however, those were mostly Quarter Horses.  The Fjords have
proven to be much more fertile and have given me far fewer gray hairs.

Since breeding season is not far away, just wanted to shed a little light on
this subject from the stallion owners viewpoint.  Thanks for bringing up the
subject, Steve!

Gayle Ware
Field of Dreams
Eugene, OR