[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>      However, having said that, there is another player in the
> equation (the mare). How many people do a pre-breeding mare exam and
> ultrasound to determine if the mare is reproductively sound, and
> where she is in her cycle so as to optimize positive outcome?
>      On another post regarding live foal guarantee, I think such
> guarantees, while they are more or less the norm, seem to put too
> much onus on the stallion for a successful outcome. I mean, if the
> stallion settles a mare, and she is confirmed to be bred 21 days or
> so later, hasn't he done his job? A lot of things can go wrong after
> that point, related to mare illness, nutrition, and injury, that can
> results in a weak or still born foal. I fail to see why this should
> automatically be laid on the stallion's doorstep.

Raising hand here. To get a nice foal you have to be willing to do the
work. And part of the work IS the pre-breeding exams, and
post-breeding care. I don't think the onus is strictly or
automatically laid on the stallion's doorstep, but $1000 (plus all the
vet expense) is not chump change. And if things fail, do to NO human
error, that's a lot of cash and hard work for the mare owner.

One scenario here,what if the foal is deformed and the mare aborts?
The stallion has done his job, yes. But what if it was HIS semen that
caused the deformity? <while not common, it's not unheard of>.

I read my breeding contract again, and there are lots of things the
mare owner MUST do to ensure that the LFG is honored. Four pages of
legalese. But it is protection to both the stallion and the mare
owner. If the mare doesn't produce a live foal, the stallion owner
requires a certificate from the vet that all was done for the mare,
with dates of vaccines, ultrasounds, etc. etc. Also it brings up the
health and nutrition of the mare, and whether the birth was attended.
I think the LFG works, when proper controls are applied and if it
works, why fix it?

Pamela,
Being simplistic again, but I'm still really sleep deprived!!!