This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I have been lurking a lot lately, but would like to chime in on the
fertility thread.
        While I agree that maintaining fertility is important in the breed,
and as a stallion owner, would of course have testing done if
required by NFHR, I wonder what is to be really gained by annual
testing of stallions or if it is apropriate to North America. How many
North American stallions are covering more than a few (perhaps to
a few dozen) mares a year? Obviously, in a state run breeding
program that limits the number of approved stalions, that means
more mares for each stud to cover, and adequate fertility for that
much use would be a must.
        It would seem the responsibility of an ethical breeder whose
stallion was frequently failing to impregnate mare to have his/her
stallion tested whether it is required or not.
        However, having said that, there is another player in the
equation (the mare). How many people do a pre-breeding mare
exam and ultrasound to determine if the mare is reproductively
sound, and where she is in her cycle so as to optimize positive
outcome?
        On another post regarding live foal guarantee, I think such
guarantees, while they are more or less the norm, seem to put too
much onus on the stallion for a successful outcome. I mean, if the
stallion settles a mare, and she is confirmed to be bred 21 days or
so later, hasn't he done his job? A lot of things can go wrong after
that point, related to mare illness, nutrition, and injury, that can
results in a weak or still born foal. I fail to see why this should
automatically be laid on the stallion's doorstep.
        Other opinions?

---
William M. Coli            Phone: 413-545-1051
Extension Educator         FAX: 413-545-5858
IPM Program Coordinator    Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Dept. Of Entomology
UMASS
Amherst MA 01003

" In all things of nature, there is something of the marvelous" Aristotle