This message is from: "Starfire Farm, LLC" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> OK Lauren I'll try ... here's what I've done. When training the lengthenings
> my instructor says at first just "think fast", ie give the aids to GO and he
> will figure it out. If he breaks to canter its no biggie, just bring him
> back right away and keep asking. You need to keep the contact with the bit,
> the horse will try to stretch way out and get on the forehand which is not
> what you want, so keep good contact and light squeezes with your leg, or
> touches with the whip (behind the saddle not in front). This works with my
> guy and we are starting to get really good steps. In working trot I never
> hold him back, working trot is his normal gait with lots of energy, just ask
> for MUCH MORE in the lengthening. Same for canter. Hope this helps some.

Hi Lauren,

I agree with Lori, just do it at the rising trot and don't ask for too much or
for a long time.  Be satisfied with little trys in the beginning, it will come
with time.  The power must come from behind, and it takes time to build that
muscle strength.  Sometimes it helps to ask after some canter work prior to
asking for lengthenings.  Also, pay close attention to the horse's rhythm while
you do this.  Any loss of rhythm is an indication of loss of balance.  Slow him
down and start again.  To help transfer the riding to driving, I use a voice aid
as I'm riding.  I'll say something like, "Trot on" in an energetic voice and
make
a noise specific to that gait.  I try to get the horse to go from my voice
command eventually, as lots of folks out there use hissing and other sounds, and
your horse can think he's supposed to respond when he hears it.  Watch to be
sure
that your horse is reaching underneath his body with his hind legs, and not
kicking his hind legs out behind him as you are asking for this work.  His hind
legs should be tracking straight, not spreading wide.  Spreading indicates a
loss
of balance, also, and is incorrect.  Above all, take your time.  It will come.

Beth

--
Beth Beymer & Sandy North
Starfire Farm, Berthoud CO