This message is from: Lori Albrough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

fjords wrote:

> What I am hoping to discover is how I can train the difference in a trot, I
> understand a collected trot and working trot but to extend,  do I just give
> him more leg contact & more rein ?

OK Lauren I'll try ... here's what I've done. When training the lengthenings
my instructor says at first just "think fast", ie give the aids to GO and he
will figure it out. If he breaks to canter its no biggie, just bring him
back right away and keep asking. You need to keep the contact with the bit,
the horse will try to stretch way out and get on the forehand which is not
what you want, so keep good contact and light squeezes with your leg, or
touches with the whip (behind the saddle not in front). This works with my
guy and we are starting to get really good steps. In working trot I never
hold him back, working trot is his normal gait with lots of energy, just ask
for MUCH MORE in the lengthening. Same for canter. Hope this helps some.

Lori Albrough
Moorefield Ontario
http://www.bluebirdlane.com