This message is from: "Karen McCarthy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I think the best way (at this stage) to develop the Fjordhorse for >sport is not through 'push' (ie requiring a 100 day test etc) but >through 'pull' ... get out there and develop your Fjord's abilities... >this will result in a marketplace of people who have seen what the >Fjordhorse is capable of. From here will come the pull that will >emphasize athleticism in breeding.

Lori Albrough
Moorefield Ontario

Very well said, Lori!
I would like add that the type of testing Carol is talking about is VERY expensive indeed. I think it too impractical to consider. With the NFHR Evaluation program standing on its own (four?) feet now,I think that the focus of rewarding good looking, versatile and mannered fjord horse will only produce better horses. As regards the "toughness" missing in today's horse that Carol mentioned, I do worry about this. And this is not just a problem with fjordhorses, but almost every horse on the face of the earth, 100 Day Tested or not. ( I do think the little hinny mules that I rode 2 months ago in Baja can be excepted!) We need to realise that we just do not use our horses today as much as in the past. They are pets, not beasts to be turned out on the tundra to fend for themselves when we are done with them in the winter, after a season of hard work. The fjordhorse is a cute teddy-bear of a horse, but it is working breed, and it is our responsibility as owners and breeders, to ensure that we are not producing lawn ornaments, for the sake of lawn ornamentation.
Time to make up a new bumper sticker: KEEP THE FJORDHORSE WORKING!
(I am sure someone out there can be inspired to a better way of saying this!)

Karen McCarthy
Great Basin Fjords
Carson City, NV