This message is from: Mary Thurman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Just wanted to say how valuable photos of riding can
> be.
> So back to the drawing board... I took my stirrups
> down a notch, removed the
> breast collar which is I think too small (I'll buy
> another before we hit
> those steep trails), and convinced Tommes that arena
> work is FUN. Look up and
> relax those damn reins.
>
> Do any of you use pictures or videos to critique
> yourself?

Brigid,

Yes!!  When we were taking riding lessons, and having
our geldings trained, we took videos of every session
- whether we were riding the horse, or whether the
trainer was.  It's very helpful to go home, watch the
tape, see what is going on, and then have constructive
questions for the next sessions. You learn a LOT more
viewing the video in the more relaxed atmosphere of
your living room.  You see things you didn't see - or
weren't aware of - during the learning session.  We
also were able to take advantage of the trainer's
suggestions when we were working the horses at home,
by having the sessions on video tape.  There was none
of the "what did he say about this?".  "I THINK this
is what he said." "Am I doing this right?"  "Wonder
how he gets this horse to do this."  Etc., Etc.

Had to chuckle at your comments about 'looking at the
ground' and 'holding the reins too tight'.  I think
maybe we all tend to do that, for some reason.  The
comments I heard most - whether it was me in the
training arena, or someone else - were "look ahead,
look up", and "relax, lighten your touch on the
reins!"  One thing I learned which seems to help
lighten your grip on the reins is to take a deep
breath, physically relax your rear back and down into
the saddle(western), and then think of handling those
reins with only your thumb and one finger.  Also helps
to TRY doing this: put the reins over your index
finger and hold them in place with your thumb.  Now
just 'point' by either rolling your hand over
slightly(palm comes up) to the right - horse should go
right - roll your hand back(thumb is now up) and just
point to the left slightly with your index finger -
horse should move left.  Another exercise we used: if
you are still riding 'flat handed' - reins held
together across each other - in the snaffle bit.  Run
both reins through one hand(usually right), left rein
going on through to the right and right rein going on
through to the left.  Raise your 'pinky', extend your
arm slightly, and 'point' your horse to the right
(point right with that pinky).  Now change hands,
raise your 'pinky' and 'point' your horse to the left.
 If he doesn't get the idea, since this is used during
beginning exercises when switching from a direct rein
to a neck rein, use your 'pinky' to 'cheat him a
little' - touch the direct(outside) rein with your
pinky to tip his head in the direction you want to go.
 This sure helps keep the horse light on the bit, and
your hands light.

Mary

=====
Mary Thurman