This message is from: "carol" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi Friends,        West Nile ... In Rhode Island we have one horse put down
in July.  I also heard of one in nearby MA.  The University of Rhode Island
is actively doing research on this virus.  Birds and mosquitoes are
collected and examined.  The leading researcher at the university is "Taka"
a PhD biologist from Japan who rents a studio apartment from me.  He keeps
me posted.  He feels the danger is all but past for this year, however we
must be watchful next spring.  Detour the growth of mosquitoes (no standing
water, etc) and spray our horses.  Putting them in the barn at night and
covering them up is suggested but not practical for most of us whose horses
are turned out.  I just sprayed a lot and hoped for the best.  The virus is
past to mosquitoes by birds, and from mosquitoes to horse and humans.  Not
necessarily fatal, but can be and has been in both horse and human.
Symptoms seem to be similar to Lymes disease with a fever.  It is carried by
only 2 species of mosquitoes.  There are over 16 different ones in this
area.  For people ans horses it takes quite a few bites to contract the
disease.  Most people get over it in a short time.  Some have died with it
though.  It is not passed from horse to horse or horse to mosquitoes, only
spread by birds and bird migrations.   I first heard of it early spring in
New Jersey, then in New York City, then in CT ... I knew it was only a
matter of time till it got here.  It showed up in MA first, but soon after
is was found in RI too.  We are over the scare for this year, lets hope next
year is a bad year for mosquitoes.
Carol Tacey
Rhode Island