This message is from: Marsha Jo Hannah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> carol j makosky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> Heidi is on dry lot and was eating all the acorns she could find,

Yes, that is a potential problem.  Fjords who're in "diet jail" tend
to try to vacuum up everything that's vaguely edible, whether it's
good for them or not.

> My vet suggested that we get a couple of pigs to clean up the acorns
> next year.  It sounds like a good idea providing horses and pigs
> can be in the same pen.

Some horses flee in terror at the smell or glimpse of pigs.  Some
donkeys have been known to attack pigs.  I suspect that there are
Fjords that are capable of either behavior!  If I were going to try
that, I'd probably "borrow" the pigs, on trial, and first pen them
separately, a safe distance away.  If after a couple of days, that
seems to be going well, move them closer, etc.  Or, if Heidi lets you
know that she "doesn't do pigs", send them back.

Caution---I've heard that pigs can be very difficult to contain.
Are you prepared to have your garden rototilled, and what will your
neighbors think of having their lawns rototilled....

Marsha Jo Hannah                Murphy must have been a horseman--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               anything that can go wrong, will!
15 mi SW of Roseburg, Oregon