This message is from: "Cheryl Beillard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Had to jump in on this one too. I'm in the "wear 'em" camp.  I often feel
confined, and I hate them on beautiful fall days or warm summer ones, but
after having had a bad fall when I was in my 20's .. riding uphill,
bareback, at a canter on a horse that stumbled .. I see the need.  When my
horse came down, I fell under him and he got all tangled up and as he fell
his front hoof came slashing down.  Missed my head by a whisper .. I felt
the rush of the wind as it sliced by and landed on my twisted arm, which
bore a perfect half hoof print for a year.  I broke my hip and had a
concussion but if that horse had hit my head, it would have been smashed ..
I like to think that a helmet might have deflected some of the blow.  It was
an impressive sight and I have to confess that whenever a horse starts to
dance under me, the vision of that hoof flying past me comes back in
technicolour.  Have had to learn to control my reaction so that I don't
communicate an undue concern to the horse.  But I don't ride or drive
without a helmet. And I don't let anyone else either.