This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Arthur Rivoire)

Hi Everybody from Carol Rivoire at Beaver Dam Farm in Nova Scotia -

In June, we had a lovely colt out of Stine, sired by Gjest.  Early on we
decided he was a red dun, and named him BDF RED REMCO.  We couldn't see any
black in his mane, and he had light-colored hooves, and a reddish hue.  We
never changed that opinion all summer, until recently when we began
noticing some very nice stripes on his legs as he shed out the baby coat.
We thought it really unusual because the stripes were blackish, not reddish
as they should be with a red dun.

But now he's really shedding, his face and legs particularly, and I'll be
darned if he doesn't look half red and half grey.   His nose is very grey,
and his legs from top to bottom are definitly grey with extravagant black
stripes, but his mane, neck and body look red.  ---

 Where did this colt come from?  If we had another stallion on the place,
I'd begin to wonder.  I had to refer to my own book, the chapter called
"The Colors of the Fjordhorse."  It doesn't mention the greys being born
with whitish feet, but does mention that trait in the red duns, which is
why we called him Red Remco.  It also mentions much darker forelocks in
greys, but Remco's isn't particularly dark.

This is a mystery, and lots of fun watching it unfold.  I hope it gets
solved before he starts replacing this shedding coat with his winter one
which will hide all evidence until Spring.

Luckily, I haven't registed Remco yet, so the "Red" part of the name is not
a big problem.

We've had over 70 foals at Beaver Dam Farm in the last 20 years, and only
one red dun colt.  That one was sired by Gjest out of a red dun mare.
We've never had a grey.

BDF (Red) Remco is as gorgeous as all his brothers, Kanada King, Malcolm
Locke, Obelisk, Quest, and we were tempted to keep him.  Now, I think we
will, for awhile anyway.

COMPETING WITH THE BIG BOYS ----

Thanks everybody for your opinions on this.  It was just a thought I had,
that's all, about someone as experienced as Orville Unrau competing at
Libby.  However, everything everybody said made perfect sense,
and if someone as good as Orville wants to compete at any of the Fjord
Shows, I agree we're lucky to have him, and to learn from him.

Best Regards,  Carol Rivoire

Carol and Arthur Rivoire
Beaver Dam Farm Fjords II
R.R. 7 Pomquet