<<
 a second subject i would like to hear more about is BITS.  anyone out there
 with expertese (sp?) on different bits for horses in general and fjords in
 particular,  i would love to hear whys, howcomes and facts on bits.  why
 switch from a snaffle if it is doing the job?  why use a kimberwick instead
 of a snaffle?  when should you change?  what about twisted wire bits?  (not
 the malicious variety)  what about the notion of low palates in fjords?
 sure would like to know more.   >>

********************

    I will defer to Jeans expertise in bits, however, in my humble opinion, (
YEA RIGHT )

   there is NO SUCH THING as a non-malicious variety of twisted wire bit. If
you need this type of bit to stop your horse, or make it " more responsive "
you need to go back to basics, and lighten this horse up. The BRAIN stops the
horse, as much recorded by runaways WITH twisted wire, and even barb wire
bits, show. Teach verbal and soft hand commands instead of using brutal aids,
and you will have a horse that stops for you when *&&^% hits the fan, and you
need more than easy cues.

    Please dont all write and tell me that severe bits are only severe in the
hands of someone harsh.....that you can ride " soft " with these bits and
everyones happy. If thats so....why need the twisted wire ?  My driving
horses like alot of  contact, and we do not drive with Western loose lines,
like in the movies.....however, my Liverpool Mullenmouths are used with
straight bars, and hooked onto the cheek piece, or top hole, never the " dead
mans hole "  ( last slot from the bottom. )

   All mine stop, so far, < G > and yes, *^%$*& has hit the fan, many times.
Been charged by 8 emus while stuck in a bridle path that bordered their yard
with a green pair, just hitched together....., had equipment break, sending
my mare to her knees while facing home on a cool, fresh day....had a trash
truck drop its dumster from around 20 ft up, right in front of my single
horse, hitched, been passed by emergency vehicles going code # 3, been chased
by dogs, had loose horses charge up and take off bucking, been in
parades..... sort of like training for HELL while being chased by marching
bands, wanna-be cowboys for a day shooting off real enough guns, kids rushing
out under your horses hoofs for candy thrown backwards by the entry in front
of you, and had to pass, camels, llamas, pot-belly pigs and even an elephant.
( THAT got their attention.

   No twisted wire, no wrecks.     End of lecture.  *  Except, that maybe a 3
yr old that has been ridden already for a year, and  is expected to lope off
and canter around with reining  dudes for advice, is.....too burnt out
already to look responsive ?  At 3, again in my humble opinion, they should
just be starting to learn the basics of riding, not finish work.

    Sorry, dont get the last part.....notion ??  of low pallets ?  A few of
mine dont have it, most of my Fjords do have very low pallets, compared to my
QH's, Paints and other pony breeds.

     Lisa Pedersen, Cedar City, UTAH * clear, cool, but big thunderheads over
Zion.