This message is from: misha nogha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Yes I think it is harder to sell young stock. In fact, it seems to me like
a heck of a lot of folks have Fjords for sale this year. Maybe we just
flooded the market as it stands for right now. I have been thinking about
this. it seems like when I first got into breeding Fjords that there were
more requests than I had horses. But this year I still have a yearling foal
who is gorgeous with near perfect conformation left over from last year.
And also several other Fjords for sale of varying ages. It seems to me that
95% of all calls I have got on Fjords were for older broke geldings in the
bomb proof category. For green broke horses, no matter what the quality,
customers are only wanting to pay $2000 to $1500. In my mind, it is the
same as giving away the horses because by then I have already put nearly
that amount into the animal.

Yesterday I got an email froma lady who wanted me to ship a $2200 yearling
to her place in Mass., let her try it out for two weeks to see if she likes
it (I live in Oregon) and if she doesn't like it after the trial period, I
can pay to have it shipped back. I wrote her that her request was rather
silly. I told her to check out some Fjord breeders in the area around Mass
and go look at some horses. She wrote back in a big huff saying that her
trainers told her you need to try all horses out for at least two weeks
before you buy, and that I had poor customer service. I asked her, how do
you plan on trying out a yearling?

As far as letting people try out for two weeks before they buy. I don't do
it. The reason is, everytime I have done it the horse has come back lame.
One time I let a pal try out a horse for two weeks and the horse came back
with shoes on two sizes too small. My pal said, I don't know, he is acting
kinda lame. When I got him back and took the shoes off (my farrier was
horrified) he was fine. No lameness at all.

I have a hard time seeing my horses as just commodities and not living
thinking breathing beautiful souls. I guess that is why I appreciate the
list so much. Most people on it really love their horses and I just
appreciate all the stories and triumphs and tales people tell.

So thanks Fjord lovers, keep em coming

Misha
Shota Fjords