This message is from: Mary Thurman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

--- Arthur Rivoire <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> (Arthur Rivoire)
>

> Hello from Carol Rivoire at Beaver Dam Farm in Nova
> Scotia -
>
> THERE IS NO SUBSITUTE FOR PEDIGREE INFORMATION IN
> THE SHOW PROGRAM!
 > I would suggest to the show committees that they
> make every effort to
> encourage competitors to pre-register so that they
> and their horses CAN
> APPEAR IN THE PROGRAM.
>
> Those that register at the show miss out being in
> the program.

Years ago when we first began going to the Libby show,
the entry blanks asked for the horse's name,
registration number, sire and dam, owner, and handler.
 I don't recall that this information was necessarily
for inclusion in the program as the programs were
pretty informal in those days. I don't have one that
old to refer to, though, so maybe it was included.  I
do know that the announcer received this information
and did his best to pronounce all those names - both
horse and human - correctly(sometimes with
pronunciation corrections yelled from the
audience<G>).  The person keeping the records for the
class placings, and making sure the announcer had the
right sheet to read from for each class, sometimes
also had the duty of checking out the pronunciations
ahead of time! But that was 'way back' when we were
just a little 'backwoods' show and were VERY informal.
 Sure was fun though - and I learned more about Fjords
and Fjord breeding back in those days than I do now at
shows.  'Back then' there was usually at least one
Norwegian judge around somewhere - either as an
official judge or as part of a group from Norway
visiting and just attending the show, sometimes
actually filming the show for Norwegian television.
Now THERE was a resource not to be ignored!  And we
learned plenty - by asking specific questions about
our own horses, and getting answers from the Masters
at the art of Fjord breeding!  Had it not been for
this(Norwegian) resource, I never would have known
what I had in my barn, or how to improve on it.  I
would not even have been able to communicate with my
Norwegian import mare - who came to us not
understanding English and very sure that 'she was in
charge'.  One of the first things I learned was that
Fjords kept out in pasture are not lead with a halter
- they are lead by the forelock.  Halters were for
tying them up in the yard or barn.  Consequently, Line
did not know she was supposed to come with me when I
tugged on the halter - she just braced and pulled
back.  She goes anywhere you ask her to with just a
tug on the forelock.  She also 'comes when you call
her' - if you know how to call her in Norwegian.
Calling her in English usually gets no response!
Opinionated, or what!  Of course, at her age we make
allowances for her 'Norwegian-ness'.

But, I digress.  Somehow we need to get that basic
pedigree information out to the audience at the shows
- for the halter classes at the very least.  Whether
we do it by publishing it in the program - and the
'late comers' are simply left out - or by announcing
it over the loudspeaker - again the 'late comers' may
be left out - we need to do something.  The info needs
to be there, either 'in hand' or otherwise, at the
time of the class, not days later when you finally get
time to sit down at the computer.  By then the
'moment' is lost and what interested you about the
horse is faded by time.  We learn through all our
senses, but seeing AND either hearing or reading at
the same time stays with us the longest.

Mary

=====
Mary Thurman
Raintree Farms