This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

A lesson I learned from my younger Harley days, I have applied to what
little I know about horses.  It is not what you ride but, that you ride.
If seeing someone compete in 'shabby' clothes makes it less intimidating to
a novice, and therefore brings them into the sport, well that is a good
thing.  The only competition I have ever witnessed the participates wore
immaculate clothing, with crisp whites and spit shined boots.  Leading me
to believe they dressed immediately prior to mounting up, or did not go
near a horse until they mounted one.  I for one, have never been near a
horse with out looking like I spent the afternoon mucking the barn, with a
wallow in the mud thrown in for good measure.

It seems the more people we can interest in our sport/passion the more
people will understand it, and spread the word, and that can lead to more
open space to ride, it can lead to existing trails being preserved for our
use.  Places to ride may be abundant out west or in Nova Scotia, but here
in the New York/ Connecticut area we are dependent on the goodwill of
private landowners to preserve the trail systems we do have.

>From my experience, anyone who can ride in shorts, is a remarkable rider in
deed.  Or perhaps, the suitcase with their ring clothes never made the
trip.