This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In a message dated 4/24/02 3:52:21 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> This message is from: "Reena" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> well the concenus is that Gus is on the thin side........friend at barn
> agrees as does Betsy P. who came to visit with her hubby Jer to help me
> verify if I was right or not......and yes he is too thin!
>
> what I want to know from you all is what you would suggest feeding him to
> fatten him up:
>
> I don't want to feed 'grain' or sweet feed....
>
> He is currently on some rice bran and does get a vitamin supplement.
> basically the same thing he had in CA but he was fat there! LOL
>
> So any suggestions would be appreciated.   I am looking at Ultimate Finish
> from Buckeye right now as my choice...everything else is just loaded with
> grains.........

Reena,

Other than feed, there are 2 other things that may be causing him to be
underweight.  First of all, when was he wormed last?  I'm not sure where you
live, but in our area, Oregon, I must worm every 2 months or the horses begin
to drop weight.  Apparently the weather here is just PERFECT for worm
reproduction.  GREAT!

The other thing is to have the vet check his teeth.  He may need to have some
dentistry done.  I just had the vet out to do our annual teeth exam for the
entire barn.  Had one Arab that had a decayed, abscessed tooth which he
extracted.  The horse is much happier now!

Either of the above mentioned things can be major culprits to your horse not
being able to fully utilize the groceries you are spending you hard earned
money on!

Gayle Ware
Field of Dreams
Eugene, OR