This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi Janet, sorry to hear that your pony foundered. I have a saying from one of
my older vets that he's never met a pony who hasn't foundered or won't in the
future. We even had a case of mechanical founder where a pony mare foundered
from the stress of carrying too heavy a rider up and down hills. Admit that
one was a new one on me and she didn't seem to mind the weight. Another
lesson learned and filed away.
   Any way given access to a running stream I like standing them in it for as
long as possible several times a day. If that isn't possible we use buckets
and stick all four in and run the hose in them keeping the water as cold as
possible. We hand walk on soft ground such as a sand ring several times a
day. I have seen vets pack feet for this but never done that one.
   I like using MSM twice a day added to a little grain, most will ignore it
and eat it, also oral bute or the new buteless bute which has Devil's Claw in
it and is easier on the stomach. The MSM seems to help blood flow and
inflamation.
    My understanding is during the founder process histimines are released
and if you are in time you can use antihistimines to stop the process. I've
never managed the in time part so always ended up treating it. After all is
healed we trim and pull the toes back as far as possible, this changes the
breakover slightly and seems to make most comfortable and usable without
shoes.
   Hope that helps and really with over 30 plus years caring for all ages and
sizes of equines I've only had one who ended up not usable and that was after
many times of founder.
    Good luck, Robyn in MD