This message is from: Mary Thurman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

--- Jean Ernest <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am not sure just what to call my mare Anvil's
> Adel.. > Adel has black hairs scattered through the
midline
> of her mane and tail,
> but it doesn't look like a stripe.  Not pale yellow,
> but BLACK hairs!  she
> has a pale yellowish tan stripe down her back and
> pale yellowish tan
> shading on her legs and face. Her skin is black,
> hooves are black with
> indistinct stripes. Her eyles are dark gold.

Boy, Jean, that is a tough one.  Guess I would just
call her a 'not quite yellow dun' if she were mine ;).
 She has all the yellow dun characteristics, except
for those pesky few black hairs.  Maybe this is also
part of the 'sliding' between colors that Tor Nestas
mentioned?  Her 'grandma' Line's midstripe is very
pale gray - not even there in the winter coat.  But
she has LOTS of black in her mane and tail and her
front legs are black to the knees - which makes her
look like she has dirty knees in the spring when she
starts to shed out.  She wears the winter coat off her
knees getting up and down to sleep I guess.  Anyway,
she is 'dirty kneed' from mid-December until April or
May when the rest of her winter hair is finally gone.

I guess maybe the reason Stella and Stina throw so
many lighter colored ulsduns/yellow duns might be
because of the extra cremella gene Stella may have
received from her sire - who was a very light brown
dun.  Maybe he had a 'hidden' cremella gene?  Who
knows.  It seems that the Norwegians have the right
idea when they say that all these scientific genetic
theories are certainly true, BUT you can still get
just about any color 'accidentally' when breeding
Fjords.  Ah, the best laid plans......

> Stella also has a son with no black stripe, Anvil's
> Solvaktig.     Stina has
> several similar colored
> offspring, as well as several ulsdun offspring with
> the black stripe.  All
> sired by Leidjo, who is a brown dun.

A pretty light brown dun.  Isn't Anvil's Rebecca also
one of Stina's offspring?  Rebecca is one of the
DARKEST brown duns I have ever seen!  Aha!  There's
that 'anything can happen' thing again ;).

Mary

=====
Mary Thurman
Raintree Farms