This message is from: "truman matz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

=======Oops.  Hit a wrong button,... will try again.

> This message is from: Janet McNally <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> We have hauled our horses on trips that required 20+ hours of driving.  It
is my preference
> to unload and rest the horses just before entering the mountains, as the
constant up/down and
> turning requires a lot of muscle in any horse and has to be tiring.  I am
not possitive, but
> I think there are also laws about how long any animal can be held in a
trailer without
> unloading for rest.  I believe the law may require unloading after every
24 hours of travel.
=========I may have over-reacted to the whole scenerio.  Accidents will
happen.  However, I just have very bad vibes regarding the incident.
Supposedly these people unload the horses and walk them every 5 hours.  I
don't see how that was possible, given the fact that one guy was apparently
a driver, period.  Unless they had just picked them up, there was a mare and
foul that had to be taken out before they could get to the other horses.

> We have found out that many rodeo grounds and fair grounds as well as
state/national forest
> areas will allow you to unload and camp for  the night if the grounds are
not in use at that
> time.
==============They say they take them out and walk them, even at a rest
area.  I really question that, too.  IMHO, it doesn't sound safe, either.

We always call ahead for permission (use the chamber of commerce for the
town you will
> be near), and pay some 'rent'  to the club, even if none is asked for, and
of course, clean
> up.  It is really a good thing for the horses to let them get out and
stretch, roll, and lie
> down if they wish.  The rest also assures that -we- do a better job
driving in the mountains.
===========Well, Janet, it certainly sounds like you folks have all the
angles very well covered.  Can I recommend you to my friend should she want
to move her horse again?  :-)  Seriously, that sounds great.  Judy