This message is from: Mary Thurman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

--- Karen McCarthy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Anyway, if you are gonna plunk down a wad of cash on
> an important investment
> like a saddle, english or western, always insist on
> trying it out first, if
> at all possible. Most good tacksellers worth their
> salt will alloooow this
> for a deposit against the saddle

I guess we are lucky out here - we have a tack shop in
nearby Olympia where you can take your horse TO the
shop(by appointment) and their saddlemaker will fit a
saddle to the horse.  We did this with our Fjord
geldings several years ago.  Mine was an easy fit: the
first saddle we tried on him(an old 'beartrap' or
'ranch saddle' handmade in Idaho) fit him perfectly
AND fit me also.  The other horse was a real
challenge!  I lost count of how many saddles they
tried on him before they found one which fit.  After
my husband rode in the saddle a few times it became
obvious that the saddle was NOT a fit for HIM.  The
store took saddle back(in good condition, of course)
and refunded our money.  We later found a saddle which
fit both my husband and the horse.  These saddles are
NOT all handmade saddles.  The ones we were trying on
our horses were 'off the rack' saddles - just looking
for one that fit.  As my husband's horse grew, he
eventually needed a regular roping saddle with semi-QH
bars - he's a BIG horse, over 15 hands and around 1400
pounds, with a huge stride and lots of 'body energy'.

Maybe you can find a tack shop in your area, or a
local saddle maker, that will offer the same service
of fitting saddles to horses.  It was a great help to
us, as we had always driven our horses and were not
used to fitting saddles.

Mary

=====
Mary Thurman