This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In a message dated 12/15/01 8:39:53 PM Pacific Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> You mentioned not being happy with the line breeding or something like that.
> What are you meaning by that? What makes this line breeding not as
> satisfactory to you? I am eager to learn so pardon me for asking so many
> questions.

There are lots of reasons why I don't like linebreeding.  Although it seems
that this particular cross doesn't seem to have any real problems.  One of
the things that has been mentioned, is that if you line breed, you can end up
with smaller horses.  Skylark at 3 years old is a mere 13.2, whereas mom was
14.1.  No biggie.  She's a good filly, and is adequately sized.    The vets
on the board can get into the genetics of line breeding better than I.

Something of interest has been brought up to me regarding  two particular
bloodlines.  And the little research I've done following up on it show me it
has some merit.  If you cross the Torbjorn and Valebu lines,  you can end up
getting horses with a lot of white on them.  My Juniper has both in her
pedigree and has no white, but her full sister has a white blaze!  And two of
her other relatives have stars.  All have the crossing of Torbjorn and Valebu
in their pedigrees.

Before I learned this little tidbit, we bred Juniper to a stallion who does
have Valebu in his background.  No white on the resulting filly!