This message is from: Arthur and Carol Rivoire <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hello from Carol Rivoire at Beaver Dam Farm in Nova Scotia -

>Carol,
>I guess I would have to ask why this information
>was not requested by you when you originally
>imported the horse

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 Yes, I could request this information when importing horses, and get it
without problems.

>If you accepted the pedigree as is when you
>bought the horse - why now the need to update it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Because a completed pedigree certificate is better than one with holes in
it, and when I bought the horse, she wasn't registered by NFHR, just by the
Dutch, so I had no way of knowing if the NFHR had all her antecedents in
its data base, or not.

PLEASE UNDERSTAND that all this information is  on record in Holland, and
(I assume Norway).  It's only a question of somebody asking for it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> If it's for the reason of saleability I would
>think it's your responsibility to request the
>information.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please understand that I used this case as an example only.  It's important
that all U.S. Fjordhorses have as complete pedigrees as can be obtained.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 If it's for the reason to have
>complete pedigrees, I would think that the NFHR
>would only be responsible for what it requires of
>any horse registered with NFHR.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That's right.  The NFHR is only responsible for what it requres of any
horse  . . . That's the present policy.

And that's my point.  It should be part of the Registrar's job to complete
pedigrees to five generations.  Why have a 5 generation registration
certificate and not try to complete it?

 (If you want to
>work to change that policy - that's another story

That's what I'm doing by asking you what you think, and by asking Mike and
the Board to change the policy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Preserving the integrity of pedigree information is vital, which is why I
think the NFHR Registrar should be the one to request and receive the
information.  Not individuals - Much less chance of error.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ANOTHER PROBLEM -  When an owner sends in an application to register, or
transfer from another registry, he can't know until he receives his NFHR
certificate whether it's going to be a complete 5 generation pedigree, or
whether there'll be holes in it.  --

If it's not, he then has to track down the missing information, return the
original certificate (with another fee), and wait for a new certificate to
be made.  Problem is, this isn't an easy task for a lot of owners as many
would have no idea where to get this information.  The NFHR Registrar knows
how to do it.

Isn't there a better way?  Should owners contact Mike before sending in
registration applications or transfers to find out if five generations are
in the computer?

That would entail much more work for Mike because he'd have to look up
every applicant, rather than just the ones that come up incomplete when
he's doing the certificates.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is pretty simple. 4th and 5th generations Fjordhorses are in the
European Studbook computers.

The NFHR should write the European registries and formally request their
cooperation in obtaining prompt pedigree information on horses in their
data banks.

When you finally get the registration certificate for your new Fjord,
wouldn't you rather have it completely filled in, rather than see a lot of
blank spaces?

Regards,  Carol Rivoire

Carol and Arthur Rivoire
Beaver Dam Farm Fjords II