This message is from: "Karen McCarthy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

...snow?
There's some here now in N. Nevada. About 4" down here in the valley.
We got blasted yesterday afternoon - a great day to stay inside and bake a Jewish Apple Cake ( a great recipe Becky Vorpagel gave me.) Before the snow started, we thought it best to trailer 3 miles over to the other ranch & check on the cows. It was really blowing & super cold; read: tights under Wrangler's under chinks cold. I didn't want to put a nasty freezing-cold bit in Alycias mouth, so I rode her in her bosal. She was a star, and as frisky & forward as she got, never once took advantage of a perfect situation to be naughty! Together Dave & his Qtr/Arab mare, and Alycia and I cruised all the cows & 3 bulls, managed to check most of the fence and just make it in before the snow started spitting. At one point we were riding right into a hard wind from the south, so strong I almost couldn't breathe, but it felt wonderful, our ponies pushing on in an extended trot, finishing the circle on back to the trailer. They knew where we were headed! Before we left Dave obliged my wierd landscaping whims and did most of the work of hefting into the horse trailer,(while I managed the huge one-piece door in the wind), some gorgeously weathered hand hewn limestone corner blocks that were strewn about where an old ranch building once stood.

wood chewing?...
Just a tip I learned from a native Nevadan about keeping horses penned in dry lots: to keep 'em from chewing on your fences, toss in some old un-painted & un-treated wood scraps (minus nails,etc.), or non-toxic branches. Her small herd of 5 horses really has a field day with them, dragging them hither and yon, and getting a good chew in as well - all with no ill effects, and yes, wood fence still intact.

Karen McCarthy
Great Basin Fjords
Carson City, NV