This message is from: "Jean Gayle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Your mention of unknown lameness will bring out a lot of stories I am sure.
I have just finished a siege of lameness, laminitis, founder, arthritis,
terrible criminal type trim (it has taken three months for the hooves to get
back to normal size) "I do not know", possible cushings, etc.  It finally
boiled down, after the poor boy was starved re possible feed founder and
lost well over two hundred pounds..not a fjord, to a soft spot in the right
front sole that is only about a fifth of an inch thick.  After three months
of bute twice a day, we put pads on yesterday and altho he is now 18 hands
in front he is no longer in pain and no more bute. Two Veterinarians, good
ones too, and a good farrier plus an emerging pattern of lameness following
activity finally paid off.  Is he ever enjoying food again?  Yessssss!!!

I think you must look for a pattern just like our own symptoms.  It finally
falls into place but as with here, it takes time.

Jean Walters Gayle
[Authoress of "The Colonel's Daughter"
Occupied Germany 1946 To 1949 ]
http://users.techline.com/jgayle