This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>  If all appears normal and the foal is up and
> suckling you
> can save yourself a farm call by waiting for 12 hours

I agree with Vivian here.  Let things settle down first and let the foal
nurse some.  By waiting not only can I check the colostrum, but I can
better assess the situation, such as how well the foal has been nursing,
if it's passing feces, its strength and attitude.
Foals are often born with heart murmurs.  If I check the foal shortly
after foaling and I hear a murmur, is that normal or abnormal.  I'll have
to check again later.  Obviously the foals mentality and attitude change
as well.

> it's
> best to
> check with your individual vet as to how they would like to handle
> new foals
> as everyone's protocol is not the same. Vivian Creigh

I also agree here.

Steve

Steve and Amy White
Prairieholm Farm