This message is from: "Patryjak" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

To all of you with experience foaling fjords, can you help with this
question?

When the vet examined Mira's placenta, her commments were "Beautiful
placenta, perfect, mom did a great job carrying this baby. Hmm... this is
interesting...it has 3 horns, all perfectly formed, one-pregnant, two
non-pregnant horns. I've never seen this before."

Now I am sorry I did not take a picture of this when we had it spread out
flat...but I will try to describe.
It was kinda the shape of a sweater laying out flat to dry (but of course
jello-ey in consistancy). The  "body" of the sweater was the large pregnant
horn, then the two non-pregnant horns were on either side like the
"sleeves."  If I remember correctly (and maybe not by now) the foal came out
where the neck of the sweater would be...(But I can't recall if this was
before or after we turned the placenta inside out or vice versa). I hope
this description makes sense.

Anyway, the question is, has anyone else had this 3-horned placenta
phenomenon with fjords? Any known significance? This vet is very experienced
with lots of foaling, but this was her first fjord birth and our first foal,
period. We thought some of you experienced folks might have more info?

Baby and mom are fine, will have more questions soon, I'm sure!

Betsy in Michigan
Lida's adventures......there is another page of new photos from Day
4...called Foal Photos 4...  http://foxfirefjords.homestead.com/Foal4.html