This message is from: " Dave McWethy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>Last year Ford (the owner of the Cummins Company), notified Dodge that
>it was using Cummins engines in the Ford trucks for the 2001 model year
>and that it would not be available for the Dodge trucks.  So Dodge is
>now using Mercedes Benz diesel engines.

This information has bounced around, but may not be true.  As I understand
it, Ford no longer has a significant share of Cummins as they once did.
Ford uses Cummins for their larger (over 1 ton trucks) as an option.
Daimler Benz has denied all suggestions that they are planning a MB engine
for Dodge, and say they intend to continue with Cummins.  They don't have an
engine with the right power/weight to do the job.  Ford, Chevy and Dodge are
in a low key HP/torque competition with their diesels.  The Cummins engine
leaves Dodge plenty of room to increase power (aftermarket power kits have
gotten as much as 750 HP).  For $600 you can turn the old Dodge into a
hotrod  (HP in 350-375 range).

Dodge doesn't want to have to provide the drivetrain to support a lot of
extra power.  As it is, the New Venture standard transmission can take more
but at upper levels needs a stronger clutch.  The automatic needs a ruggeder
torque converter to take extra power.