This message is from: Becky Vorpagel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi! I wanted to let everyone know that Hansel, a wonderful gelding out
of our mare "Quad L's Misty" is going to be in the Portland Rose
Parade this year. Although he is only six, Hansel has already been in
a number of parades, but never one this big before. He is escorting a
22-year old white Appaloosa named "Ghost" who will be carrying "Miss
Senior Oregon." Two or three other riders from the same parade and
drill team group will be with him. Hansel is owned and loved by Pam
Garza of Wilsonville, Oregon, who has done a superb job of training
him. The only other Fjord who has been in this parade was Steven
Spengler's Blikk, a few years back. It's exciting to have another
breed representative there this year.

I might also mention concerning the driving bridle slipping issue:
we've worked with Bill Long, a well known 4-in-hand driver and
international competitor with our Fjords, and he thought it was
"ridiculous" to think that you would cut off the air by having the
throatlatch too tight on a Fjord (unless you can't get any fingers at
all under it). It is much more important in driving than in riding to
have a bridle stay on. Top CDE drivers use a strap from the bottom of
the throatlatch down and around the cavesson and back to keep the
bridle on during the marathon phase. Of course, this wouldn't work in
a show situation, but is good on trails. Also, for Western bridles,
Pat Wyse of HorseWyse (worked with Monte Foreman) has designed a
Western/training bridle with a sort of double throatlatch -- one in
the regular place and a second strap that goes back further down
around the horse's neck. It isn't very pretty but definitely
impossible for it to come off; people who have trouble keeping their
horse's bridle on may want to look into to.

Finally, my understanding is that in Oregon, a brand inspection is
required no matter where the horses are from, but I could be wrong on
that. I do know that it only costs $10 to get a brand inspector out to
your place wherever you live in Oregon (you don't have to go to them,
to an auction, or whatever) and then I think it's $5 to get a 1-year
inspection and $10-15 for a lifetime one. They're fairly worthless for
Fjords in terms of identification, but they are legally required!

Becky Vorpagel
Jont Creek Acres
Monmouth, OR