This message is from: "ARDETH OBENAUF" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

There is a new procedure for club foot surgery which is far more successful
than the old method of just cutting the ligament.  It combines the
traditional surgery with corrective shoeing techniques both before and after
the surgery.  Recovery for an adult horse involves 3 months of stall rest
and gradual return to normal activity after that, with no riding or driving
until the 6 mo mark.  I have a quarter horse mare who had the surgery last
year when she was 9, now ten.  She is now doing great.  Her foot looks
totally normal, and more importantly is growning lots of sole depth.  She is
moving well also, although we have had to inject her coffin joint once.  The
joint fits together slightly differently than it used to.  In a younger
horse this might not even be a problem.

This technique was developed by Dr Rick Redden in Kentucky, and my vet works
closely with him and is doing the surgery as well.  It is now pretty routine
for club foot problems in this area.