This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In a message dated 3/15/2003 10:03:36 PM Pacific Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Great news, Brigid.  I am curious, how much do they charge per horse?  And
> what does that include? And how close to you is it?

Hi Jean-

I checked the mileage last night with my truck, as I have no concept of
distance ;-) Freeway time from home is about 20 minutes, 20 miles. Better
than the 35 minutes, 40 miles of the previous barn. Then it's about another
10 minutes, 8 miles east into the hills. You mathematic types must be
chuckling now, saying "That's no less distance!" Of course you'd be right,
but since the freeway/road driving breaks up the trip, it *seems* shorter.
Calaveras Road, which leads to the facility, is overdeveloped with every
imaginable restaurant, book store, gas station, so plenty of places to stop
for a break before or after riding. Not to mention, the less time spent on
the freeway the better, as this is the Bay Area and rush hour seems to be all
day!

The former facility charged $165/mo per horse for pasture. That included
twice daily feeding of hay. The new place charges $140/mo, PLUS you get a $15
discount per horse for paying on or before the 1st of the month. A brilliant
plan, instead of charging a late fee, you get a discount! Positive
reinforcement. This also includes twice daily feeding of hay.

I must say, despite the gas expense, it's worth it for me to board in the
South Bay. Prices where I live in the Peninsula are out of this world. Stall
board at a halfway-decent facility is $500-$600 a month, not including
blanketing, graining, etc. There are very few pastures around here. I'd have
to go to the Coast for that, where prices are $250+/mo.

Brigid Wasson
SF Bay Area, CA
 <A HREF="http://www.ourfjords.freeservers.com/fjord1/Our_Fjordsx.html";>Our
Fjords</A>