This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In a message dated 1/11/2003 4:07:05 AM Pacific Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Thus far for farm chores, I have not needed shoes to protect
>
> the feet, but we have clay soils which are soft on the
> feet.  However, I have wondered if we should consider shoes
> with borium for traction on ice, any experience with that?

Hi Janet-

No ice here in California! This was a topic of discussion on the
barefootedhorses list. Most agreed that a properly trimmed bare hoof has what
it takes to travel safely on ice. Now, I would think this means the horse
moves at a pace comfortable for him, making his own way. Moving at speed or
sharp turns sounds dicey, shoes or no. But then again I don't know ice. Some
people mentioned buying/making a boot with studs on it, used only while
riding then removed.

Brigid Wasson
in formerly sunny CA :-(