This message is from: Janet McNally <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Jamie,

thankyou Jamie for taking this on as a level headed debate
:-)  Steve,  I do hope you will allow this one last post
through, especially since there are a few (incorrect)
accusations being thrown at me that you did permit to go
public.  I wish to clarify my possition.

This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> Well, first off, preserving the purity of the breed means
not crossing
>it.  If it means something different to you please
enlighten me.

Crossbreeding is done for many different purposes.  I have
not yet heard anyone on this list, me or otherwise suggest
that new genes should be put into the Fjord breed.  Merely
making crossbreds does not mean those crosses will be used
to perpetuate the Fjord.   What is so very important to
realize, is that it is not -making- the cross that changes a
breed, it is the decision to accept the crossbreds into the
purebred registry that changes them.   I whole heartedly
agree that encorporating crossbreds into the registry would
destroy the Fjord, I am in no way advocating it, and I am
absolutely dead set against it.

But outcrossing is a totally different purpose.  Outcrossing
is where a -purebred- is used to produce a cross on another
breed or grade.  Usually this is done with the rarer breed
stallion as presumedly the mares of the other breed are
either lesser quality or more plentiful.  This has been done
throughout history where either the half bred is the desired
product, or where improvement (grading up) is needed in the
other breed.  Outcrossing does -not- change the purebred
used for outcrossing as the crossbred animals are never
incorporated into the purebred gene pool (by not being
permitted into the registry).  There are many expamples (in
other species, and in history, with the horse) where the
demand for the use of a pure breed in outcrossing actually
strengthened the support to safeguard the purity of that
breed, as the breed would not be very prepotent if it was
not pure.     The best example I can give is the bluefaced
leicester sheep, which exists soley to produce crosses on
hill breeds in the U.K.  If there was not demand for this
breed in crossing, it would not even exist.  Yet the breed
does exist and thrives soley for its use as a crossing sire,
and for that purpose its purity is guarded just as much as
the Fjord breed).  So there is an example where there are
vast numbers of crossbred offspring produced, yet the
purebred is kept pure and is viable as a breed.  In the
horse world, there have been breeds which, due to their
demand for grading up or outcrossing, were greatly
strengthened and kept pure just for that purpose.  This is
the kind of crossbreeding I am referring to as not harmful.

>After all,
>any foal resulting from a Fjord bred to a non-Fjord is
*part* Fjord, and
>therefore is NOT PURE.  Do you expect people to just ignore
those horses'
>existence because their Fjord parent hasn't been changed?

What are you suggesting?  I guess I don't understand the
question.  The crossbred Fjord is not of interest to the
purebreeder in his breeding program.  It is an end product
produced presumedly for a reason to be used for a certain
purpose (work or pleasure).  I cannot guess all the reasons
why people might produce crossbreds, some of it to be sure
may be misguided and should be discouraged.  But I guess the
needle that has been sticking me in the side here, is that
there may be a very good reason someone might wish to make a
Fjord outcross, and who am I/you/anyone to condemn them so
long as their stock stay out of the purebred gene pool?
Not too long ago, when horses were much more comonly used
for work, nearly every farm work horse was infact a
crossbred referred to as a 'farm chunk'.  These horses fed
and developed America.  Purebred draft breeds flourished
supplying genetics to make these crosses and the purity of
those draft breeds was not lost by this use.  It was not
until later, when the draft breeds were no longer used for
crossing, but instead were used as  'purebreds' in show
hitches that they changed dramatically.  Just one example
that it is the use of the horse that poses the greatest
power in shaping the breed.

Times are changing and today most of us do not depend upon
our horses for work, and the availability of purebreds have
increased  But there are still people who use horses for
work (we do) and will have specific needs.  It -might- be
that a Fjord cross would give them that blend they are
looking for.  Personally, I have found the purebred Fjord to
suit me perfectly and have no desire to change it, but I
choose not to speak for other people.

>  Secondly, if anyone doesn't understand the history of
horse breeding
>as it's relevant to Fjords, it's you.  The breed is over
four thousand years
>old. Sorry for being blunt, but who are you to come
waltzing in saying it's
>okay to cross them?

I understand the long purebred history of the Fjord 100%
AOK. But I'll go on to wager that somewhere in  that
history, purebred Fjord stallions have been used on grade
mares to make work or 'using'  horses when purebreds were
scarce,  and I'll wager that somewhere in its history this
kind of outcrossing helped contribute to demand and
development of purebred breeding programs that became the
foundation of the purebred Fjord.

Be careful, I did not say the crossbreds were used in the
breeding program (maybe they were, maybe they were not), I
only said that the outcrossing probably created demand for
the qualities of the  purebred Fjords to warrent investing
in a purebred breeding program.  I am speculating here on
the Fjord breed, but do so because this scenario of
outcrossing has been instrumental to creating demand for
most other purebreds in the past and that demand supported
purebred breeders giving them the resources necessary to
specialize.  It is very likely to have been instrumental in
the Fjord as well.  Perhaps someone who has studied the
history of the old Fjord breeding establishments can
comment.

I have not suggested -anywhere- that it is desireable to
incorporate crossbreds into the purebred Fjord population,
and it is the very fact that so many people are so quick to
jump to the conclusion (that crossbreeding = diluting
purebred Fjords)  that lead me to believe many do not
understand the difference between the various purposes of
crossbreeding.

>       As I've said before, Fjords are what they are for a
reason.  If you
>want a horse with different qualities, go buy something
else.  No one is
>twisting your arm and forcing you to get one.

 I will repeat myself again "Personally, I have found the
purebred Fjord to suit me perfectly and have no desire to
change it.  "  I have stated this at least 4 times in the
past couple of weeks in this forum.

>       but you'll never convince me that the
>breed and the breed's image won't be.

Really the heart of this debate is breed purity.....  How
are you suggesting the crossbreds are going to enter the
purebred Fjord gene pool?  Why would breeders choose to
attempt to illegally register a crossbred?

as for the image of the breed, I already said:

<< I -do- appreciate the concerns some have about potential
confusion of purebreds vs crossbreds, although I >>do ponder
why this does not seem to be an ssue in any other breed.  >>

I am speaking about reported potential confusion  as to
whether a horse is a purebred or crossbred Fjord and what
that does to the image of the purebred.  I will continue to
observe and take notes, as I have not yet seen a crossbred
except for the photos Lynda posted of the rescue horses.
But so far, in the discussion that has ensued here on the
list, no one was able to make a strong case that the
crossbreds are anything more than a hypothetical threat to
the image of the purebred horses.  Crossbreds are readily
accepted as a non-threat to many other pure breeds, so I am
truly puzzled why Fjord breeders are uniquely concerned
about this issue.

<< I am puzzled too that the most logical rationale to ban
crossbreeding,
that is to keep numbers of fjord-like horses in check to
protect the value of
the purebreds, so that Fjord breeders can recieve
respectable prices for
their product (and continue to be able to afford to carry
out their breeding
program), is not top on the list, as it
should be.  >>

Jamie responded:

>       Wow.  If you think the most logical reason for not
crossing the Fjord
>is based in money we've got much bigger problems...

Let me explain.  If the value of purebred Fjords drops below
the level needed to invest in continuing the breed, the
breed will suffer.  If purebred Fjords maintain a high
value, people will be willing to invest in the best
genetics,  training, and will be out travelling around
buying and  marketing their horses.   If it is possible,
that a plethera of crossbreds would satisfy the demand for
Fjord like horses,  or worse, became more popular than the
purebred, and that caused the purebred price to drop, then
many of the breeders would not be able to justify investing
in the Fjord breed.  I honestly don't know if crossbreeding
Fjords would do this.  I can point to several examples where
crossbreds in other species command just as much money as
purebreds, but of course we can also point to many examples
where crossbreds are cheaper. I am only saying, at least
this reason for banning crossbreeding holds some water if
the purpose is to protect the breed.

In conclusion Jamie wrote:

>  When we see something potentially harmful happening,
>we do what we can to stop it.

No one on this list  has been able to tell me how they think
outcrossing with a Fjord is going to result in those
crossbreds entering into the registry thus tainting the
purebred gene pool,   nor has anyone been able to provide
conclusive evidence that crossbreds are harmful to the image
of the purebred Fjord. (one or two examples, and lots of
speculation does not make a trend).

 If it is image that everyone is so worried about then think
twice before attacking the owner of a half bred, think twice
before defining who should and should not own Fjords, think
twice before critisizing people who may have needs different
than your own.  In other words, do a good job selecting your
breeding stock, take care who you sell to, but be a good
neighbor.

**Because the attitude of the people who own the breed is
every bit as important to the image of the breed as the
animal itself.**

I am concerned that as a new Fjord owner, I have seen more
posts attacking and critisizing people who know or think
differently,  and it is creating a very negative image.  It
reminds me once of going to the state fair, where the Tenn
walker people had their stalls all roped off and no one
would take time to talk to me (I was looking to buy a TWH!),
but the Belgian, Percheron, and Clyde people were not only
welcoming but down right hospitable.  Which image are Fjord
owners and breeders creating here?

I have not asked anyone to accept crossbreeding, nor have I
asked that any rules be changed.  I have only suggested that
perhaps crossbreeding does not deserve to be treated as
something 'evil'.  Not acceptable is one thing, evil is
another.   Based on private responses I know that there are
people who are afraid to speak up on this topic because they
are afraid that any show of support means being tarred,
feathered and hung as a traitor.   This is very unfortunate
and does not help the image of the Fjord breed one iota.

Janet W McNally