This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In a message dated 1/9/2003 6:26:09 AM Pacific Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> While on the subject of what is good for the breed it really bothers
> me to hear folks say they are born broke. NO equine is born broke. All
> need training, hopefully by someone that knows what they are doing.
> Granted, often it is the human that needs training.

I'm with you on this one Joel.  A horse is a horse.  And they all need
training.  Putting it into other terms, I have 3 dogs.  Two of them I swear
are ADHD.  They are so hard to focus and get to behave.  It is constant work.
 The other one, you show her something once, she gets it, and loves to show
that she knows what you want.  All three of them are dogs and need training,
but one of them is much more of a pleasure to train.  So it is with fjords.
>From what I've learned about them.  They learn and they learn easily and are
normally happy to do as asked.  My problem (as Gayle knows) is that I can get
them to a certain point, then a professional needs to take over.   Raising a
baby, and teaching them manners is easy, if you are consistent.  I've found
from the 2 fjords I've brought up, that when they get around 2-3 years old,
they become smarter than I am, and test in ways that I am just now learning
how to deal with.  At this point, they go to somebody who can correct them
properly.  I'd hate to think what they'd be like if they were allowed to get
away with what they tried on me.  <g>   As it is, the first young mare who
did this, I took to a trainer, the trainer loved her and now owns her, and
she is the sweetest handicapped pony on her property.  And is very well
mannered.  And Holly, who I sent to Gayle as a young 3 year old, went away
young and immature, and came back as a sweet, willing mature mare.  She still
needs miles put on her, but the proper training, at the proper time can do
wonders for these horses!

Pamela
 <A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/northhorse/index.html";>Northern Holiday
Horses</A>